Applied Research Associates, Inc. (ARA), Southeast Division (SED) in Raleigh, NC is seeking a Senior Developer with Windows and Linux OS experience for a position developing and improving an existing weapon effects software architecture for an advanced physics-based computational system deployed through standalone applications, web services, and Docker containers. This system will be deployed for use in the Department of Defense. Candidate will have a strong passion and background in software development and making quality production software at all stages of the software lifecycle.
As a valued contributor to our project team, your responsibilities will include (1) defining incremental improvements to deploy our current R&D weapon effects software architecture to technology readiness level (TRL) 8 (2) working in an agile team environment to improve and deploy TRL 8 software in Windows and Linux test environments, and (3) expanding our unclassified and classified capabilities through integration and verification of additional modeling software. Additionally, you will support cross compilation efforts of Windows software into a Linux environment.
What you’ll do as a Senior Java and C++ Developer:
As a Senior Developer you will be part of an Agile team working all aspects of software development including discovery, design, coding, unit testing, vulnerability scanning and documentation. Candidates will be focused on integrating new modeling and simulation (M&S) capabilities including physics based models, code refactoring and compiling code for Linux and Windows based OS to achieve a high level of software robustness and stability. Candidates will work directly with our customers, external teams, and other ARA programs to cross-integrate capabilities.
Senior Java and C++ Developer Requirements:
- Due to the nature of work, qualified candidates must be a U.S. citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance
- Candidate requirements include experience in software development and programming in Java and C++ within Agile teams using Git, Eclipse, Visual Studio and JIRA. Compiling and developing for Linux OS and generating .cmake files for build scripts is also a requirement. Qualified candidates should have a strong understanding of Java. This position requires a BS in Computer Science or similar with a minimum of 7 years work experience, or MS with a minimum 5 years’ experience
Senior Java and C++ Developer Preferences:
- Current active security clearance
- AWS, Microsoft, or CompTIA Cloud Certification
- Experience with weapon effects or other related DoD software systems and models
- Expertise with Risk Management Framework (RMF) and information assurance/information security activities (e.g. server hardening security control implementation)
- Interest in data science, data analysis, data visualization, and mathematical algorithms
- Experience developing and deploying software to DoD IA requirements
- Familiarity with containerization and infrastructure as code technologies like Docker, Kubernetes, Rancher, and Red Hat OpenShift
Applied Research Associates, Inc. is an employee-owned international research and engineering company recognized for providing technically superior solutions to complex and challenging problems in the physical sciences. The company, founded in Albuquerque, NM, in 1979, currently employs over 1,500 professionals and continues to grow. ARA offices throughout the United States and Canada provide a broad range of technical expertise in defense technologies, civil technologies, computer software and simulation, systems analysis, environmental technologies, and testing and measurement. The corporation also provides sophisticated technical products for environmental site characterization, pavement analysis, and robotics.
While this is all of the Year One and Beyond stuff, Day One is highly impressive too. These are things like our competitive salary (DOE), Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP), benefits package, relocation opportunities, and a challenging culture where innovation & experimentation are the norm. At ARA, employees are our greatest assets so we give our employees the tools, training, and opportunities to take active roles as owners. The motto, “Engineering and Science for Fun and Profit” sums up the ARA experience. The corporation realizes that employee ownership spawns greater creativity and initiative along with higher performance and customer satisfaction levels.
ARA is passionate about inclusion and diversity in our workplace. In 2018 40% of our new employees voluntarily self-identified as protected veterans. (Source-AAP EOY 2018 Veterans Data Collection Report). Additionally, the Southeast Division looks not only for the right skills, but also for a cultural fit. We seek colleagues who will contribute to the unique culture that makes ARA such a great place to work. Some of the social impact aspects we have implemented at our division include monthly get-togethers, team outings to local baseball games in the summer, board game lunches, holiday party, corn hole tournaments, chili cook-offs and so on. We are also very proud of our Women’s Initiative Network (WIN) whose purpose is to motivate, support, and encourage professional career development for women in order to maximize career and professional accomplishments. For additional information and an opportunity to join this unique workplace, please apply at careers.ara.com.