The Associated Press is the essential global news network, delivering fast, unbiased news from
every corner of the world to all media platforms and formats. Founded in 1846, AP today is the
largest and most trusted source of independent news and information. On any given day more
than half the world’s population sees news from AP.
We are looking for a contract data engineer who will work with the AP Product team to integrate alternative data into third-party data platforms.
You will help AP expand the audience of its data journalism, getting facts into the hands of not
just newsrooms around the world but also enterprises that seek out unique datasets.
We are estimating between 10-15 hours per month until December 2021. Depending on needs
and the success of the program, hours may increase.
Sample projects might include setting up an ETL from the AP Planner API or syndicating data
hosted on data.world to Snowflake’s marketplace, AWS S3 or other repositories.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience with APIs, ETLs, collaborative coding
and data integrity.
• Strong coding , documentation and data integrity standards. Your code should be easily
understood and supported by someone else.
• Comfort working with APIs and ability to write code that integrates with multiple
• Experience developing with Python, Ruby or similar language.
• Experience working with pluggable frameworks for data scrapers and integrations.
• Knowledge of SQL and data modeling.
• Comfortable working with version control (git).
• At least three years working as a developer or in a similar role.
• Nice to have: experience in the FinTech industry; familiarity with platforms like
Snowflake, Battlefin and data.world.
Contact AP Director of Product Ken Romano at email@example.com with your resume and any