The Camp Zeke Counselor is a living embodiment of healthy active living. At Camp Zeke we invite you to be your best self, and to join a community where all are welcome and kindness is our highest value. Our Counselors are the kindest, healthiest, most enthusiastic people on the planet! If that describes you, then we are excited that you are interested in applying for the Counselor role at Camp Zeke.
Essential Responsibilities of a Counselor and Coach:
- Live in a cabin with up to twelve campers and three co-counselors.
- Responsible for waking campers in the morning and putting them to sleep at night
- Engage campers thoughtful programming during rest hour every day.
- Clean your cabin with your campers every day.
- Ensure campers shower, brush their teeth, do their laundry and regularly change their sheets and towels.
- Make sure that your campers are drinking water and wearing sunscreen
- Join planning committees to help plan various programmatic initiatives at camp (such as banquet, Olympics, etc.).
- Be a part of the nightly OD Rotation: one counselor per cabin stays in and is “On Duty” for their cabin. During this time, the OD fills out a daily bunk log for their Unit Head.
- Be passionate about fitness, athletics, healthy food, and of course, camp! They should be role models of healthy behaviors for campers.
- Identify and respond to camper behavior issues.
- Ensure that the site is kept clean, organized, and free of litter.
- Help Junior Counselors learn to become stellar staff members
- Be familiar with the daily schedule and help campers arrive on time to activities
- Lead campers to activities throughout the day and participate with them in camp activities as required
- Use your unique gifts and strengths to co-create a rich camp program (i.e. musical talents, crafting skills, sports leadership, drama experience, knowledge about nature)
Work Conditions for Camp Counselor and Coach:
- Must have the physical ability to lead and participate in camp activities which include, but are not limited to, hiking, canoeing, swimming, team building initiatives, building campfires, physical games, and activities.
- Perform essential program support to camp activities and programs which may include, but not limited to the following activities: semi – reaching to full-reach overhead, crouching, kneeling, shoveling, working in narrow and/or confining spaces underground, overhead, and at ground level, twisting of the waist, shoulders, and legs, and lying on stomach and/or back.
- Must have the ability to physically manage and support children when needed for safety in general camp activities.
Requirements for Camp Counselor and Coach:
- Education classes or experience in camp, youth programs, recreation, working with children, or in a related field.
- Passionate about working with kids.
- Ability to lead, plan, organize, and implement program activities.
- Ability to work as a member of a team and the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Enthusiastic about healthy active living.
- Available to work and live on our camp from June 20 – August 8. Longer contracts available for extended work. Must be available to live onsite for the full length of the contract.
- Must be high school graduate as of June 2021.
Overnight Camp Counselor and Lifeguard Perks & Benefits:
- Accommodation includes air conditioned cabins.
- Cabins are located on 560 acre site on private Hickory Lake.
- Salary is commensurate with experience and year in school.