Job Title: ECE Co-Op
Reports To: Manager, Software Engineering
Department: Engineering – Global Innovation
FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt
Primary Location: Oak Brook, IL
Job Summary and Scope of Responsibility:
At CGI you’re going to learn fast. You’re going to be challenged and you’re going to get the hands-on experience you need for a long, successful career.
At CGI, our people make our organization. We value the skills, strengths and perspectives of our diverse team. We strive to create an environment where employees can flourish and succeed. We stand for excellence—but also for each other. We stand strong…because we stand together. Our cultural attributes describe how we live our Values. At CGI that means being One Team, Effective, Passionate, Accountable and Creative.
Oak Brook Headquarters
CGI’s headquarters is a 4-story, state-of-the-art new building in Oak Brook, Illinois. Designed for natural light and surrounded by a 3/4-mile walking path, CGI HQ was designed for better health, better collaboration and better performance.
Career Development Intern Opportunities
CGI’s Career Development Intern Opportunities are designed to give college students an opportunity to complement their formal education with career-related experience.
In an effort to accomplish this, students must:
- Share ideas and provide new insight.
- Handle confidential information in a professional and ethical manner.
- Assume personal and professional responsibility for his/her actions and activities.
- Maintain professional relationships with Chamberlain Group’s employees, clients, and customers, both internal and external.
- Work on applying knowledge acquired in the classroom to real-world business situations.
- Develop a self-awareness of attitudes, values, and behavior patterns that positively influence the work environment.
- Utilize learning opportunities such as training, meetings, or conferences offered by Chamberlain Group.
- Complete work assignments in a thorough, consistent, and punctual manner.
- Adhere to Chamberlain Group’s policies and procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The ECE Co-Op is responsible for applying knowledge of engineering principles to prototype electronics and software projects. The main emphasis is on design development of consumer products focused on access control. Wireless remote controls, Garage Door Openers, Gate Openers and Commercial Door Openers are examples of access control products. The ability to support other hardware firmware engineers is required. Additionally this position requires the engineer to interact, communicate and contribute within a cross functional team environment, including but not limited to Mechanical Engineers, Industrial Designers, and Marketing Product Managers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide software engineering support to new and existing product designs.
- Basic understanding of fundamental electrical engineering design principals.
- Write design specifications and test reports.
- Performs bench testing of designs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be enrolled in a program of study at an accredited college or university
- Working towards a BSCS, BSCompE or BSEE degree is required with a minimum course work of 2 years
- Must be committed to the duration of the co-op program, generally 12 – 14 weeks (Jan to April 2021).
- Must possess an unrestricted right to work in the United States.
- GPA minimum: 3.5 on a 4.0 point scale
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Driven to learn new ideas and design practices.
- Experience with prototyping electronics or software projects is strongly desired.
- Experience programming Microcontrollers, either in assembly, C, C++ or Arduino (Processing.org) is a strong plus.
- Experience with electrical test equipment such as oscilloscope, power supply, signal generator, spectrum analyzer or network analyzer is a plus.
- Experience with Soldering, Component Placement, Breadboarding or similar projects are a plus.
- Experience with simulation software such as Altium a plus.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with MS Office tools.
- A driver’s license is required.
Chamberlain is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. You will be considered for this position based upon your experience and education, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, ancestry; marital, disabled or veteran status. We are committed to creating and maintaining a workforce environment that is free from any form of discriminations or harassment.