light Simulator Engineer (Senior II Computer Scientist/Analyst), Oklahoma City, OK, US ID #18547
CN3S provides personalized professional and support services to ensure our clients’ success. Whether your program requires mission, IT, environmental or medical support, CN3S offers the best solutions to finish your job on time and within budget. CN3S has proven expertise in navigating the competitive and tribal 8(a) acquisition environments. This gives our clients more control over project scopes and budgets, streamlines the procurement process and alleviates acquisition delays.
For more company information, visit our site at
The qualified candidate follows established processes, guidance, and supervisory instructions for designing, developing, monitoring, maintaining, and evaluating hardware and software requirements for complex, high-fidelity aviation/aerospace simulation systems in support of human factors research. The position entails a mixture of basic and routine assignments under the direction of a manager, project/program manager, or experienced technical specialist to identify and analyze problems or system malfunctions, and support the development and implementation of creative solutions.
Incumbent’s work activities are vital to the success of simulations required to meet established project milestones documented in research Program Directives. Typical assignments may include but are not limited to: writing software, designing and integrating simulation systems, writing or reviewing hardware/software development statements of work (SOWs), reviewing or performing acceptance testing on contractor-developed hardware and software, systematically testing hardware and software systems, scheduling and supporting simulator data collection efforts, writing management reports, and recommending improvements to the design or operation of systems, equipment, or processes. May be called upon to communicate the overall results of a project or work activity to Project Lead or FAA management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work both independently and within a cross-functional team environment.
- Serve as technical expert in data base management systems, operating systems, and technical graphics to support the use of the division’s aviation simulator systems to conduct human factors research.
- Apply experience and knowledge of simulation principles, theories, and research concepts to develop specifications for hardware/software needed to conduct computer-based aviation simulation studies.
- Assist in monitoring performance and reliability of systems, troubleshooting, and repairing several applications and subsystems of large, complex simulators.
- Define, plan, and organize assigned resources to accomplish organizational objectives.
- Allocate resources to administer computer servers, troubleshoot complex problems, and provide technical support to FAA scientists and other stakeholders to use high-fidelity simulation to conduct human factors research.
- Develops system/network information security documentation.
- Prepares simulation labs for comprehensive security assessments.
- Evaluate advances in the field that influence procurement of state-of-the-art high-fidelity simulation systems to best meet the requirements of FAA scientists and engineers.
- Test and evaluate current and proposed equipment and software enhancements
- Advise management regarding acquisition proposals designed to enhance mission accomplishment through automation.
- Share responsibility for project management with supervisor or project lead.
- Demonstrate independence in planning time and using assigned resources to accomplish assignments.
- Resolve basic and routine technical problems without the intervention of management or a more experienced engineer.
- Identify problems that require attention and inform management in a timely manner.
- Develop and recommend techniques to address problem situations.
No Supervisory Responsibilities
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s level degree in computer science, simulator engineering, computer engineering, systems engineering or related field, PLUS minimum 10 years related work experience.
- General knowledge of FAA ATC facilities, how they operate, types of personnel, roles and responsibilities of ATC operational personnel are preferred.
- Resolving hardware/software/internet problems, implementing corrective actions
- Knowledge of relevant mathematical and statistical sciences
- Experience integrating, configuring, and installing computer operating systems and software applications on a wide variety of research computers/simulators
- Knowledge of Graphical Information Systems and Displays, including Simulation software used to create graphical images of flight instruments (i.e., GL Studio, CBA for Simulation and Creator Pro); imaging software used to create out-the-window views of terrain and airports (i.e., MetaVR); Open Graphics Library (OpenGL); Three-dimensional 3D graphics software, Microsoft ActiveX
- Experience analyzing problems to develop integrated solutions involving computer hardware and software.
- Experience consulting with users, management, vendors, and technicians to determine research computing needs and system requirements.
- Experience identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Experience using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Experience with Systems Analysis – determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
- Experience Systems Evaluation – identifying measures or indicators of system performance and the actions needed to improve or correct performance, relative to the goals of the system.
- Experience programming – writing computer programs for various purposes. Specific tools and technologies may include:
- Experience with Computer server hardware and software –
- Experience with Operating System software: – Linux; UNIX; Windows, etc.
- Experience and knowledge of structured programming and techniques for scientific programming, interaction of hardware/software, data management systems, graphics, and statistical analysis software.
- Experience with programming languages (Java, Python, Fortran) and Microsoft Visual Studio (Basic, C++, C#) is required.
- Experience developing and managing complex and dynamic relational databases (ORACLE, SQL; e.g., maintaining, updating, merging, data verification, and extraction of data).
- Integrates subroutines written in different languages into a complex program.
- Writes general purpose and scientific programs using machine level or higher level programming languages and software associated with currently installed computer hardware for a Windows network.
- Responsible for ensuring that software programming is completely reliable and compatible with existing software and hardware.
- Designs data collection, extraction, and analysis tools for human factors research projects.
- Performs other programming duties as required to assist in the research efforts of the Aerospace Human Factors Research Division.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to work with computer languages (including, but not limited to, C, C++, Java, Python, MATLAB), Microsoft Visual Studio (Visual Basic, Visual C++, Visual C#), and operating systems that support aviation/aerospace simulation studies.
- Ability to work cooperatively and productively as a member of a team towards the successful accomplishment of a task, goal, or project.
- Ability to develop interfaces between multiple software products given availability of appropriate interface documentation.
- Ability to work with Human-Machine Interface (HMI) hardware.
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve issues with computer simulation hardware and software.
- Strong communication skills (writing and verbal).
This position is primarily performed in a climate-controlled office setting.
About Cherokee Federal
Cherokee Federal – a division of Cherokee Nation Businesses – is a team of tribally owned federal contracting companies focused on building solutions, solving complex challenges, and serving the nation’s mission around the globe for more than 60 federal clients. Our team of companies manages nearly 1,000 projects of all sizes across the construction, consulting, engineering and manufacturing, health, and technology portfolios.
Since 2012, the Cherokee Federal team of companies has won more than $5 billion in government contracts. Our 3,000+ employees work in 26 countries, 50 states and 2 U.S. territories.
Why choose Cherokee Federal? Visit our website and learn about the great reasons to join our team. cherokee-federal.com
Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, gender identity and sexual orientation. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please copy and paste the links to the following two sites: EEO Statement | EEO Poster; https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf and https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/ofccp_eeo_supplement_final_jrf_qa_508c.pdf
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may e-mail CNB.Compliance@cn-bus.com for assistance. This email address is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the application process or status.
For Pay Transparency Non Discrimination provision, please copy and paste the following link: Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision; https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf
We maintain an Affirmative Action Plan for proactively seeking employment and advancement for qualified protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Upon request, we will schedule time to make our Affirmative Action Plan accessible. If you are interested, please submit a written request with the email subject line: 2020 Request to View Affirmative Action Plan to the Compliance Administrator at “CNB.Compliance@cn-bus.com” This email box is not for resumes or follow up on job applications.