The Child Trends Education Research team is seeking a research assistant to join our research area. Child Trends’ education team strives to identify and support the educational policies, programs, and structures that create positive conditions for learning that help youth of all backgrounds flourish throughout their education and beyond. Our areas of research priorities include school climate, school discipline, school health and wellness (including mental health), educational equity (including for LGBTQ youth), and college and workplace readiness.
The ideal candidate will have experience working in a research setting and have an interest in education and youth development, particularly around issues affecting conditions for learning.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform literature reviews synthesizing information from a broad array of scholarly sources.
- Collect quantitative and qualitative data including conducting observations, interviews, focus groups, and survey administration.
- Identify and analyze federal, state and local policies related to conditions for learning.
- Support the provision of technical assistance to state departments of education, local education agencies, and schools.
- Tabulate data and produce effective graphs.
- Write substantive sections of reports, briefs, and journal articles.
- Prepare presentations for conferences and meetings.
- Assist with organizing meetings, preparing meeting notes, and filing when necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant social science field.
- Coursework covering research methods, statistics, and/or qualitative analysis.
- Basic understanding of education policy in the United States. Previous experience in education field a plus.
- Commitment to equity.
- Ability to write clearly and present complex information to technical and general audiences.
- Strong analysis and critical thinking skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong communication skills and an ability to manage work across multiple projects.
How to Apply:
Please follow the “apply” link to submit your application. When asked by the system to upload resume, please upload one document that includes your resume, cover letter, transcripts, a writing sample and contact information for three professional references. Materials must be combined into one document in order to be uploaded. If you have any difficulties with this process please email the requested materials to recruitment (at) childtrends.org and make sure to reference the position in the subject line. No phone calls please!
Child Trends, founded in 1979, is a nonprofit, nonpartisan research organization dedicated to improving the lives of children by conducting research and providing science-based information to improve the decisions, programs, and policies that affect children. With annual revenue of $23 million and 192 employees, our clients include federal, state and local government agencies, foundations, and service providers. Our headquarters is located in Bethesda, Maryland, with offices in Minneapolis and Chapel Hill, North Carolina. In 2018, we were recognized as a Great Place to Work for Women, Best Workplace in Consulting & Professional Services and Best Small & Medium Workplace.
Child Trends is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Protected veterans and individuals with disability encouraged to apply.