Under direct supervision of the Summer Camp Coordinator, the Camp Counselor is responsible for serving as leaders and mentors for our youth camp participants. Camp Coordinators will assist with the planning, organization and implementation of activities for the day camp program.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leading and supporting campers as they participate in age-appropriate activities
- Interacts professionally and respectfully with the public, coworkers and others in the course of daily work.
- Respond to incidents, such as behavioral problems or accidents and reports information to Camp Coordinator
- Ability to relate to youth and adults in a positive manner
- Accompanies youth on field trips.
- Participates in field trips as assigned and monitors campers to ensure compliance with camp rules
- Memorizes all emergency procedures including all required transportation protocols such as head counts, hazard awareness and effectively handling emergency situations.
- Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
- Must have a great attitude.
- Participate in cleaning, maintaining and ensuring proper use of camp facilities and equipment.
- Handle questions, problems and concerns of parents/guardians before, during and after camp.
- Communicate and work with the Camp Coordinator and coworkers as an effective strong team
- Must maintain regular and timely attendance as well as neat and professional appearance.
- Must attend mandatory training prior to start of camp as well as all assigned staff meetings during camp
- Drives city vehicle including van and trucks.
- Operates computer, printer, copy machine, telephones, recreational equipment, etc.
- Must have High School Diploma, or GED.
- Minimum age of 18.
- Experience working with children preferred.
- Skill in dealing effectively and efficiently with youth.
- Understands and follows oral and written instructions.
- Knowledge of planning and coordinating daily activities.
- Works alone and is a self-starter.
- Must have, a valid Texas Driver’s License.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug test and physical exam.
- Must pass a background check.
- Must be able to work various shifts, including some evenings
- Ability to work outside, in inclement weather, including heat and humidity, for multiple hours with few breaks.
- Frequently required to stand, bend, walk, run, stretch, twist, kneel, crouch, push and pull while working with youth.
FUNCTIONAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
Sitting; standing; walking; running; stretching; twisting; kneeling; crouching; pushing/pulling loads up to 70 lbs.; verbal communication, lifting/carrying loads up to 55 lbs.; stair/ladder climbing; overhead reaching; near/distant vision; able to set up and take down athletic equipment; moving large and awkward objects alone; work is indoors and outdoors.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Disability/Veteran