Under general direction, this position is responsible for assisting in the planning, implementation, and coordination of economic development programs and goals of the City. This position will provide support meet the goals and objectives of the City’s Economic Development Strategic Plan.
The Economic Development Specialist is responsible for performing a variety of professional duties to support the department’s mission.
- Initiate, develop, manage and maintain programs that encourage retention and expansion of existing businesses and industries within the City. Maintain the business retention program that includes face-to-face visits, surveying of business needs, acting as business liaison between company and City departments, and following up on needs.
- Assist in recruitment efforts as needed including responding to industry specific RFPs/RFIs, company site visit planning and execution, available real estate searches, and participating in marketing networking opportunities.
- Research and analysis of social, economic and other data for planning purposes.
- Assist with the department’s web-based, print, and social media marketing and advertising programs.
- Conduct periodic reviews and essential research for the maintenance of department website, print materials and social media content. Sites include:
- Act as liaison for regional and local organizations/associations.
- Interact with various City departments on collaboration of development projects to ensure timely permitting and commencement of construction.
- Assist with applications for economic development incentives and monitors same.
- Work with the City’s Communications department on developing communications initiatives for the local business community and City-wide image.
- Maintain available land sites and property databases.
- Prepare monthly department reports referencing measurable goals, reporting standards and benchmarks aligned with the department mission and objectives.
- Schedule and coordinate department meetings and events and works on special projects as assigned.
- Ensure the City is successful in efforts related to developing and maintaining strong working relationships with the Chamber of Commerce, developers, corporate leaders, business owners, public school officials, other regional and state economic development agencies and citizens.
- Provide ongoing support to the Economic Development Advisory Board (EDAB) to advance their mission and goals.
- Responsible for regular attendance and arriving to work on time.