The DREAM Project is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that provides high-quality education and learning opportunities to at-risk youth in the Dominican Republic. We believe that quality early and continuing education is the most effective way to break the cycle of poverty and change destinies. Our mission is to run inclusive, sustainable education programs for children and youth in the Dominican Republic that can be replicated throughout impoverished global communities.
The Montessori Program offers comprehensive, high-quality education at the initial and basic level for low-income children in various communities in the Dominican Republic. The DREAM Project uses the Montessori Method as the basis of its pedagogical practices in addition to incorporating inclusion and family education as part of the academic program. The Montessori Method focuses on alternative educational opportunities based on childhood development theories for children ages two to seven. Children are free to explore their intelligence while socially developing. In the Montessori classrooms, children are allowed to grow and develop at their own pace while being encouraged to play and explore in a safe learning environment. Teachers act as guides who promote and enable students to be independent, taking ownership of their development. In a mixed-age environment specifically designed to help children develop at their own pace, children choose their own activities from the Montessori materials that are displayed in an accessible way. Children work individually, or in small groups, with hands-on activities that are designed to help them develop physically, socially and intellectually.
The DREAM Montessori Fellow will work under the Montessori Program Coordinator, supporting classroom curriculum, teacher professional development, program monitoring and evaluation and the Escuelita de Padres program. The position will be based in Cabarete, Dominican Republic and include various roles within the organization’s programs, so flexibility is a very important aspect of the position.
· Review classroom curriculum and provide feedback for areas of improvement, following the Montessori Method and best practices for students’ growth and development.
· Assist with the planning and execution of the monthly Montessori preschool parent meetings, while reviewing the parent engagement plan and updating the curriculum as necessary.
· Develop lesson plans on various topics (English, science, etc.) to train Montessori teachers to implement with their students.
· Assist with the execution and analysis of Montessori student evaluations.
· Monitor the expansion of the Escuelita de Padres program in new communities.
· Support training of facilitators of the Escuelita de Padres program, planning and carrying out new trainings as frequently as needed.
· Support the Montessori Office Manager with the management of the Montessori preschool and Escuelita de Padres monitoring and evaluation systems.
· Bachelor’s degree in education, child development, early childhood, psychology, social work or related field required. Master’s preferred.
· Prior experience working in a classroom or similar educational setting highly preferred.
· Familiarity with the Montessori Method preferred.
· Strong interpersonal skills and experience establishing contacts and building relationships.
· Excellent organizational skills with an eye for precision and detail.
· Ability to manage multiple tasks and responsibilities with minimal supervision.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
· Advanced Spanish skills (oral and written proficiency) required.
· High energy and positive attitude.
· Prior experience working with cross-cultural teams and/or in a developing country preferred.
Costs: Fellows commit to fundraising a specific amount to cover their expenses. Full sponsorship is available for Dominican-Americans and for candidates with relevant experience. After you have applied, email a one-page letter that demonstrates your financial need, indicates the amount of funds requested and highlights your specific qualifications for the program to email@example.com if you are applying for sponsorship.
Apply online by December 10th at https://www.dominicandream.org/yearlong-fellow-application.