DREAM (formerly Harlem RBI), an award winning sports-based youth development program, is seeking dynamic individuals to support our recess and after-school programs, inspiring youth to recognize their potential and realize their dreams. Learn more about us here.
The Elementary Recess Coach and After-School Youth Worker will supervise students during school lunch hours, overseeing and facilitating all recess activities. When DREAM is running in-person after-school programs, the Recess Coach and After-School Youth Worker will also support after-school programming, leading all enrichment activities during that time.
You will have the opportunity to participate in professional development training, in addition to receiving regular feedback and support. This is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to build youth development skills while working with a passionate and supportive team.
$16.00 – 19.00/hr
Roles and responsibilities
- Oversee a group of up to 18-20 youth during their recess time
- Collaborate with team to facilitate various outdoor activities
- Model and encourage positive participation in recess activities
- Model professionalism through consistent attendance, timeliness and preparation
- Supervise and manage youth behavior at all times using positive youth development strategies
- Implement all health and safety protocols as required;
- Lead a group of up to 18-20 youth in after-school activities including sports, social-emotional learning, enrichment and academic support;
- Facilitate or co-facilitate lessons to help youth build their social and emotional skills;
- Collaborate with team to facilitate various enrichment activities, such as yoga, dance, music, or sports;
- Support with homework completion and other academic enrichment
- Implement all health and safety protocols as required.
- High school diploma or equivalent required;
- Experience working successfully with groups of school-age children in a classroom or other youth development setting, strongly preferred;
- Experience with behavior management, including positive youth development, preferred;
- Exhibits warmth, enthusiasm and patience in working with youth;
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team setting;
- Ability to quickly problem-solve in the moment;
- Ability to communicate effectively with families;
- Comfort with technology and ability to use common platforms, including Zoom and Google Suite (Gmail and Gchat);
- Eagerness to grow professionally, including openness to receiving and implementing feedback;
- Flexibility: willing and able to shift tasks and priorities as needed;
- Belief in the mission and outcomes of DREAM, including the importance of social emotional competency and advocacy for self and others;
- Ability to work during the program hours, including after-school programming.
Recess programming hours (tentative):
- Tentative Days & Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday: 10 AM – 3 PM
If there is also after-school programming (tentative):
- Tentative Days & Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday: 10 AM – 3 PM and 3 PM – 5:30 PM
Hours are approximate and subject to change
Dream Charter School
- Mott Haven Elementary School (411 Wales Avenue, The Bronx)
- October – June
- Start date: October 5th