About this Job
Are you someone who enjoys finding creative solutions to complex challenges? Do you love the idea of having a seat at the table in a state that is reimagining its future? Are you looking to stay in West Virginia, return home to it, or explore the Mountain State for the first time?
This position is part of Generation West Virginia’s Impact Fellowship. This program invites passionate leaders to work, live and give in West Virginia through yearlong, paid fellowships with some of the state’s most innovative employers. During the course of a year, Impact Fellows work 32 hours per week at one of our participating Host Employers for a minimum salary of $31,000 plus benefits, with competitive salary ranges varying based on experience and industry standards. Fellows spend each Friday volunteering with local nonprofits on projects that positively impact their communities.
We are now accepting applications for the 2021-2022 class of Impact Fellows. Apply by February 28, 2021 for this Impact Fellowship position with one of our participating Host Employers, Wardensville Garden Market.
Farm Manager at Wardensville Garden Market
Wardensville Garden Market is a nonprofit social enterprise whose mission is to expand opportunities for Appalachian youth so they grow to reach their greatest potential. We create living classrooms to provide real-life learning experiences and generate proceeds that are 100% reinvested back into the program. In 2016, Farms Work Wonders launched the Wardensville Garden Market project—an organic farm, market, and bakery that has currently created over 100 local, good-paying jobs with most held by local high school students, and we continue to grow.
We are a certified organic, four-season farm. We grow a diverse assortment of crops and maintain a flock of layer hens to serve our CSA, Market, Bakery, and additional farmers markets. A Production Kitchen for value-added goods is scheduled to be operational early 2021. Our main site is 100 beautiful acres of river-bottom land along the Cacapon River in Wardensville, WV. We currently grow our produce and herbs on 4 intensively-managed acres, including 2 high tunnels, a greenhouse and multiple caterpillar tunnels.
We are seeking an experienced, dedicated Farm Manager to join our collaborative farm team. If you join our team you will work closely with the Agriculture Director, our Farm-Based Educator, and Admin Manager to produce abundant delicious, high quality food. You’ll be key to helping us meet growing revenue goals, reduce expenses, and fuel the vision for this land moving forward – all in ways that also provide meaningful learning experiences for youth and conserve the environment.
In addition to developing additional markets for our produce, the Farm Manager will direct and coordinate the activities of the Agriculture team to ensure optimal productivity, high quality products, improving land health and safety for workers and visitors.
We will prioritize candidates who are interested in joining our team for at least two years and who have experience in certified organic farming.
- Oversee production of ample delicious, fresh, high quality produce to meet current demand and generate more.
- Manage our CSA, farmers markets, wholesale accounts and intra-organizational sales in ways that delight customers and keep them coming back for more.
- Execute the production plan, including creating weekly and seasonal work schedules.
- Perform field work while acting as a pacesetter and leader of the Agriculture Crew to ensure that farm tasks are completed in accordance with the weekly and seasonal work schedules.
- Manage Agriculture Crew performance, including providing training and consistent, actionable feedback to ensure that they have the appropriate knowledge and skills for the assigned tasks.
- Accurately maintain detailed records relating to maintenance, seeding, planting, harvesting, spraying, food safety and organic certification.
- Perform and oversee tractor/BCS work, irrigation, general field work, quality control, food safety measures, and help generate social media content.
- Perform any other task or activity required to ensure smooth operation of the farm and non profit organization.
- Minimum of two years experience managing an organic market farm preferred; experience supervising at least one-two staff people.
- Clear track record of meeting sales goals, limiting expenses, and managing budgets.
- Ability to work inside and outside in all weather conditions, lift up to 60lbs and stand for long periods of time.
- An exceptional work ethic and sense of responsibility for the farm’s success;
- Must be 100% reliable, have strong communication skills, and an eagerness to problem-solve with a team.
- Must have weekend availability.
- A strong commitment to growing high quality food in a way that is respectful of, and beneficial to, the broader environment.
- Enthusiasm for our mission and interest in youth development.
- Familiarity with Google Suite and Tend a plus.
Salary commensurate with experience. The range we anticipate is: $31,000-$35,000. In addition to salary, we offer Paid Vacation, Sick Leave, monthly stipends, and the opportunity to brainstorm and work with other farm nerds.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or military status, in any of our activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, customers, volunteers, contractors, vendors, and anyone else we work with.
How to Apply
The Impact Fellowship application includes multiple components. In order to complete the application, you’ll need to:
- Answer general questions about yourself, your education background, and work experience,
- Submit a resume,
- Complete a short written response to one of two provided prompts,
- and upload a one-minute video submission.
Visit https://weimpactwv.org/jobs/ to view all of the individual job descriptions or apply now at https://generationwv.submittable.com/submit/183822/impact-fellowship-2021-application. Submissions must be received through Submittable to be considered.