About this Job
Are you someone who enjoys finding creative solutions to complex challenges? Do you love the idea of having a seat at the table in a state that is reimagining its future? Are you looking to stay in West Virginia, return home to it, or explore the Mountain State for the first time?
This position is part of Generation West Virginia’s Impact Fellowship. This program invites passionate leaders to work, live and give in West Virginia through yearlong, paid fellowships with some of the state’s most innovative employers. During the course of a year, Impact Fellows work 32 hours per week at one of our participating Host Employers for a minimum salary of $31,000 plus benefits, with competitive salary ranges varying based on experience and industry standards. Fellows spend each Friday volunteering with local nonprofits on projects that positively impact their communities.
We are now accepting applications for the 2021-2022 class of Impact Fellows. Apply by February 28, 2021 for this Impact Fellowship position with one of our participating Host Employers, Alpha Technologies, Inc.
Security Engineer I
Alpha Technologies, Inc. (“Alpha”) is looking for a Security Engineer I (“SE-1”) to lead or assist in security incident response, monitor Security Operations Center systems status and handle alarms, and configure and manage security-related aspects of network and endpoint systems.
Alpha is a technology services firm based in Hurricane, WV, with a large, world-class data center located in South Charleston, WV. Alpha provides services to federal, state, local, educational, and commercial customers in WV and nationally.
As a SE-1 at Alpha, a typical day might include the following:
- Researching, mitigating, documenting, and reporting malicious software attacks on customer or Alpha systems in accordance with Alpha’s Incident Response Plan and Procedures
- Monitoring security systems for alarms or other abnormal conditions and respond accordingly
- Participating in the design and development of security aspects of systems configurations to the level of security required by the customer or by applicable regulation
This job would be a great fit for you if you:
- Are recognized as an excellent writer and speaker
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced and technically challenging environment
- Are committed to being a part of building up WV’s diverse technical talent pool
- Enjoy keeping up with the latest information and communications systems security news and attack methods and can implement proactive mitigations
- Enjoy solving complex technical problems
- Have a BS/BA in Information Security, or in Information Technology with a security focus) plus at least one year of relevant hands-on experience, or some combination of education and experience acceptable to Alpha. Security-related certifications would be a plus.
- Have not been convicted as a felon or denied a federal security clearance
As an SE-1 you will:
- Research, mitigate, document, and report malicious software attacks on customer or Alpha systems in accordance with Alpha’s Incident
- Response Plan and Procedures
- Monitor security systems for alarms or other abnormal conditions and respond accordingly
- Participate in the design and development of security aspects of systems configurations to the level of security required by the customer or by applicable regulation
- Perform other duties as assigned
The SE-1 primarily will work from either the Hurricane or South Charleston facilities, or, potentially remote work (from home), but also potentially onsite at customer locations, public health considerations permitting.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary for this position is $31,000. Health and dental insurance is available, as well as an Individual Retirement Account.
How to Apply
The Impact Fellowship application includes multiple components. In order to complete the application, you’ll need to:
- Answer general questions about yourself, your education background, and work experience,
- Submit a resume,
- Complete a short written response to one of two provided prompts,
- and upload a one-minute video submission.
Visit https://weimpactwv.org/jobs/ to view all of the individual job descriptions or apply now at https://generationwv.submittable.com/submit/183822/impact-fellowship-2021-application.
Submissions must be received through Submittable to be considered.