Property Accountant – Internship
Responsible for timely & accurate cash management, accounting & financial reporting for Hawthorne Residential’s Apartment Communities.
This is a paid internship. The goal is to offer a full time, salaried position by May or June of 2021. Full time or Part time applicants accepted.
Learning Objectives and Future Responsibilities include:
· Weekly review & management of the cash position for each property including:
o Review of cash balance.
o Review of open payables.
o Selection & processing of payables based on cash balance, priority & due date.
o Ensuring the mortgage payment is paid timely.
o Validate petty cash requests & receipts prior to replenishing petty cash (cash or debit card).
o Communication of excessive cash or shortage of cash to HRP Asset Management.
o Ensure that utilities are entered and paid on time to avoid late fees and disconnects.
· Detailed GL review & posting of reclasses to ensure operating expenses, major expenses & capital expenditures are recorded accurately.
· Calculation of monthly accruals for utilities, landscaping, management fee, property taxes, insurance amortization, mortgage interest for appropriate properties.
· Calculation of quarterly accruals for payroll and operating expenses for appropriate properties.
· Detailed review of Balance Sheet & monthly tie out to subsidiary ledgers. All balance sheet items must be supported included but not limited to:
o Lender Escrows
o Mortgage Payable (lender statement)
o Resident Accounts Receivable
o Prepaid Rent
o Security Deposits
o Misc Due to/From
· Review financial package (budget comparison, 12 month rolling, actual/budget, balance sheet) to identify & research additional reclasses, fluctuations requiring explanation, additional accrual to ensure financials are an accurate reporting of the financial & operational performance of the property.
· Build & distribute variance report template to CM & RM for each property 5 days prior to reporting due date.
· Complete & distribute of monthly financial reporting package to owners by due date.
· Complete bank reconciliations monthly for all property accounts.
· Distribute of financials to lenders – as required.
· Complete of Replacement Reserve Draw Requests – as frequently as allowed by lender.
· Calculate & pay management fees to HRP. Includes insuring the management fee advance is within $300-500 of actual management fee & adjusting the advance accordingly.
· Build & distribute Quarterly Site Bonus Worksheets.
· Save final reporting package to the HRP dataserver – monthly on the 15th.
· Save other appropriate information to the HRP dataserver as completed.
· Provide Yardi accounting support to site teams.
· Communicate site accounting issues/challenges immediately to Controller & Asset Management.
· Office Hours: 8:00am/8:45am to 5:00pm/5:45pm Monday through Friday. Schedule may vary.
· Physical requirements: Must be able to perform the physical functions of the position, which may include but are not limited to: ability to effectively communicate with team members, supervisors, vendors and service providers. Must be able to see, hear, talk, sit, stand, walk, reach, climb, stoop, kneel and crouch. Must be able to lift a minimum of 60 lbs. as needed.
· Experience: No experience needed. 1 year of accounting experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Education: Bachelor Degree in Accounting or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Pre-Employment Testing: Drug testing and background screening. Successfully complete pre-employment psychological and basic skills exam, including interest patterns.