Join Hunger Free America in creating a people’s movement to end hunger and push for the economic and public policies needed to eliminate domestic hunger and ensure that all Americans have sufficient access to nutritious food. Working directly with the Advocacy, Policy, and Research Department volunteers will play a crucial role in researching, communicating and promoting HFA’s policy positions. The activities for this volunteer role depend on current legislative priorities which is ideal for someone who is flexible and wants to take initiative to accomplish our goals.
**This is a virtual role which can be flexible to your schedule**
We have several projects running simultaneously and we want to make it easy for you to get involved. Our two projects areas are the following:
- The Advocacy Team involves public speaking and outreach to lobby state and federal officials.
- The Research Team involves data collection and writing to build on existing research on social safety net programs. We are currently are recruiting volunteers for the following projects:
COVID-19 Best Practices (National Focus): This project will focus on how governmental waivers meant to ease food access during the pandemic, and implemented differently on state levels have impacted rates of hunger across the country.
Food Secure 2025 (NYC Focus): This project will focus on examining what anti-hunger policy recommendations made to the mayoral administration have or have not been implemented. And help inform and shape future recommendations.
- An Associate’s Degree or 1-2 years related work experience in social work, education, public health, public administration, nutrition, public policy.
- Knowledge of federal nutrition programs like SNAP, WIC, and/or the NYC School System
- Willingness/experience working with non-profit organizations and government agencies
- Excellent writing, communication, research, and analysis skills.
- Strong interpersonal, collaborative, and relationship-building skills.
- Positive, self-starter attitude; ability to take initiative, think creatively, and work independently.
- Commitment to Hunger Free America’s mission to end hunger in the United States.
Training/Support Provided: The Advocacy, Policy, and Research staff support Hunger Volunteers by providing background and materials on our previous body of research and technical instruction for any task assigned. You will be added to a community of passionate Hunger Advocates that will organize opportunities for emotional support and collaborative brainstorming.
To get involved, please sign up via the link below, and send a basic resume describing work experience and relevant interests to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will then set up a chat to learn more about which team and project would most suit you.