Software Developers at IBM are the backbone of our strategic initiatives to design, code, test, and provide industry-leading solutions that make the world run today – planes and trains take off on time, bank transactions complete in the blink of an eye and the world remains safe because of the work our software developers do. Whether you are working on projects internally or for a client, software development is critical to the success of IBM and our clients worldwide. At IBM, you will use the latest software development tools, techniques and approaches and work with leading minds in the industry to build solutions you can be proud of.
Your Role and Responsibilities
As a Back End Developer Co-op you:
- Are experienced with client-server architectures, networking protocols, application development, and using databases.
- Have experience using and developing APIs using java, node.js, go or other modern programing languages.
- Understand user and system requirements.
- Have an understanding of, or experience with, Agile development methodology.
What You’ll Do:
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative environment to understand requirements, design, code and test innovative applications, and demonstrate those applications for our highly valued customers.
- Employ IBM’s Design Thinking to create products that provide a great user experience along with high performance, security, quality, and stability.
- Design and code servers, services, applications and databases that are reusable, scalable and meet critical architecture goals.
- Create Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) that are clean, well-documented, and easy to use.
- Provision, configure and operate Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Software as a Service (SaaS) applications.
Who You Are:
- You are highly motivated and have a passion for creating and supporting great products.
- You thrive on collaboration, working side by side with people of all backgrounds and disciplines, and you have very strong verbal and written communication skills.
- You are great at solving problems, debugging, troubleshooting, designing and implementing solutions to complex technical issues.
- You have a basic understanding of software development and programming languages.
- You have the ability to learn new skills quickly and use the skills efficiently.
- You have strong communication skills to work with cross team members.
Co-op Terms: Beginning winter 2020 OR summer 2021, to last 6 months full-time
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Basic knowledge in one or more of the following technology areas: Java, C++, Go, Ruby, Python, Perl, SQL
- Basic knowledge of operating systems and how they work (i.e. Operating systems courses); Container technologies; Internet Services; and/or Managed Services
- Understanding of user and system requirements
- Have an interest in, understanding of, or experience with Agile development methodology
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Kubernetes and OpenShift
- Familiarity with APIs
- Experience working with servers, middleware, applications and databases
About Business Unit
As IBM accelerates in the hybrid multicloud space, we recognize the need in the marketplace for a Cloud strategy and consultative sales skillset that can engage early on with our most important clients as they are developing their Cloud strategy for their organization. To succeed we must understand our clients, their industry and their journey, and meet them where they are in areas including: Cloud Architecture and Technology, Service Management and Operations, Security and Compliance, Culture and Organization, Methodology such as the IBM Garage Method, Data Science and Governance, Emerging Innovation Spaces such as AI and Machine Learning. IBM needs to be the thought leader and strategic partner to our clients which will in turn allow us to win market share and ensure IBM’s relevance in the future of our most important clients. To lead this mission, we have created the Cloud Engagement Hub.
The Cloud Engagement Hub is a dedicated, multi-disciplinary high performance team comprised of experts in areas such as Cloud Strategy and Client Value Development, Application Modernization, DevOps Transformation, Big Data/AI, Security, Networking, Data Center Modernization, Cloud Platforms such as AWS and Azure, IBM Cloud Platform and Cloud Managed Services. The Cloud Engagement Hub’s objective is to help our most important clients define their Cloud Journey, partnering across IBM through the contracting phases to solidifying the client relationship in a trusted advisory capacity.
The Cloud Engagement Hub is One IBM brand agnostic team pulling contemporary expertise from across IBM Services (GBS and GTS), Systems and IBM Cloud Business units. The dynamic, startup culture or the Cloud Engagement Hub reflects the agility that IBM much exhibit in the fast changing world our clients experience in their business and the fierce competitive Cloud environment we see.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.
IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.