NO COVER LETTERS, PLEASE!
NO TRANSCRIPTS, PLEASE!
PLEASE ONLY SUBMIT YOUR RESUME & ANSWERS TO OUR QUESTIONNAIRE
(minimum 200 characters per response, most accepted applicants submit 5-8 sentences)
MINIMUM 200 CHARACTERS PER RESPONSE, MOST ACCEPTED APPLICANTS SUBMIT 5-8 SENTENCES, ALMOST EVERYONE SUBMITTING MORE THAN 8 SENTENCES IS ACCEPTED INTO THE PROGRAM
Universities Requiring Unique Disclaimers:
see below for disclaimers from the following Universities:
This is a VIRTUAL internship. However, if your school requires you to visit a physical commercial location, it can be arranged for you to visit almost any Keller Williams branch that is convenient for you on a weekly basis. There is often extra space available in a friendly and professional atmosphere.
Leadership, Supervision, Interaction with Others, and Software:
This is an internship, and it is only 5 hours per week unless you are OPT or your school program requires you to do more. Therefore, advanced software will NOT be used in the 5-hour program because advanced software usually demands greater attention-to-detail and allows for more options to be explored. In the 5-hour program, we will only use the SIMPLEST AVAILABLE software. In either internship program, you may use more advanced software, but both programs require you to provide it yourself. And, while the CEO has a degree in Digital Media from UC Berkeley and more than 20 years experience in digital media advertising and while you will receive high quality feedback about your design work, the internship will not provide supervision on how to use advanced software to achieve the goals of that design work.
It is also VERY IMPORTANT that you have clear expectations before applying and before accepting participation in this role, especially in terms of WHAT YOU NEED from an internship like this. Some interns in graphic design NEED interaction with other professionals and leadership, perhaps 10-20% from leadership, 0-10% interaction with other interns, and 70-80% interaction with other professionals. HOWEVER, this program is more like 10% leadership interaction, 0% interaction with other professionals, and 90% interaction with other interns. The internship program is almost entirely student run, and some graphic design interns just need lots of design work and very little interaction or leadership experience.
Determining which type of experience you desire is a very important decision. If you already have a lot of experience, you might be looking for more leadership experience, and then this would be a good opportunity for you. If you don’t have a lot of design experience, this would be a good opportunity for you. However, if you already have a lot of design experience and if you want more advanced design experience, then this would NOT be a good experience for you.
The Media Team is perhaps the most impactful in terms of leadership development. Most if not all of the interns joining this team are extremely shy or socially awkward. However, this role is designed to supplement the work of other interns. They work primarily with the Marketing Team (who typically lack advanced design skills) and, through this, the Media Team interns are able to refine their technical skills through how they communicate with the Marketing Interns. They also work with the Entrepreneurship team who typically have basic needs for a logo design or business card design. There is a strict design process for creating designs where Media interns get a chance to interact with members of other teams. The frequency of interacting with strangers has a big impact on these interns. Rarely (estimated at less than 1/10th of 1% of the time) will an intern every get an opportunity to meet with or do anything for a real client.
This internship is quite simple. It is not difficult, but it will be fun, intellectually stimulating, and an opportunity to work on real projects with one of the best brands of real estate in the world. Keller Williams also recently won an award noting it as the #1 training organization of any type in the world.
The role will simply be to
- draw 3D sketches of commercial space superimposed over real pictures using Google software
- make memes for social media posts
- assemble short video ads using free pre-made video software
For example, a laundromat that occupies only half of a covered space, the other half being a parking lot that can be enclosed with retractable heavy-duty vertical or horizontal accordion garage doors so that the parking area can be enclosed and perhaps used by another business, like a cafe.
Another example is a vacant lot that needs a few different SIMPLE elevation drawings of example developments that can go in its place. Perhaps an office building, a warehouse, or a fenced storage yard.
These drawings will be used in listings so that buyers can envision what may go there and so that we can get more accurate quotes from contractors for the development of those ideas. This will be the second component of the internship, so it’s important that applicants also have interest in financial aspects of projects because these quotes should be reasonably competitive to existing properties. Training is provided.
- Flexible Time commitment aligned with intern’s personal and professional needs. For each task, the intern is asked to self-assign a deadline. If that doesn’t work for the Supervisor, it will be assigned to another intern or the Supervisor will perform the work. THE ONLY THING that the Supervisor desires is for the intern to communicate when he or she cannot meet a deadline with as much notice in advance of the deadline as possible.
- Internship Duration is 120 days
- $100 gift (discretionary, not guaranteed) may be given to unique interns who display above average leadership skills and passion for learning
FLSA Compliance Notice according to USDOL Factsheet #71
- The extent to which the intern and the employer clearly understand that there is no expectation of compensation. Any promise of compensation, express or implied, suggests that the intern is an employee—and vice versa. THERE IS NO PROMISE OF COMPENSATION. IF YOU GET YOUR REAL ESTATE LICENSE IT IS POSSIBLE TO NEGOTIATE A COMMISSION. HOWEVER, COMMISSION IS PERFORMANCE-BASED. YOU (AND WE) EARN MORE WHEN WE SELL AND YOU ( AND WE) MAKE ZERO IF WE DON’T SELL. PLEASE CALL TO DISCUSS GETTING YOUR REAL ESTATE LICENSE
- The extent to which the internship provides training that would be similar to that which would be given in an educational environment, including the clinical and other hands-on training provided by educational institutions. THE PROGRAM IS HEAVILY WEIGHTED TOWARD LEARNING. 20% IS FOCUSED ON TRAINING OTHER INTERNS, EXPOSING INTERNS TO LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITIES ONE WOULD NOT BE EXPOSED TO WITHOUT ACHIEVING DIRECTOR LEVEL ROLES IN A REAL WORLD WORK ENVIRONMENT. 40% IS FOCUSED ON REAL WORK, AND 40% IS TIME SPENT WITH ME FOCUSING ON THEIR LEARNING. ADDITIONALLY, AT LEAST 20% OF THEIR TIME IS SPENT WRITING ABOUT THE ACTIONS THEY PERFORMED. EVERY ACTION IS RECORDED IN INCREMENTS OF 30-60 MINUTES, AND EACH ACTION MUST HAVE A LEAST 200 CHARACTERS DESCRIBING WHAT THEY LEARNED. THIS DATA IS ANALYZED STRICTLY AND THOSE ACTIONS MERELY SUMMARIZING SUBACTIONS WILL NOT BE APPROVED. THE CEO HAS BOTH TEACHING AND COACHING EXPERIENCE AS WELL AS CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT AS WELL AS A MBA. IF YOU ESTABLISH A FORMAL INTERNSHIP FOR CREDIT, YOU WILL BE GIVEN A GRADE AS PRESCRIBED BY THE UNIQUE INSTRUCTIONS OF YOUR UNIVERSITY.
- The extent to which the internship is tied to the intern’s formal education program by integrated coursework or the receipt of academic credit. THIS IS UP TO THE STUDENT TO ESTABLISH
- The extent to which the internship accommodates the intern’s academic commitments by corresponding to the academic calendar. THIS IS LEFT UP TO THE STUDENT TO DEFINE, AND OUR PROGRAM CAN BE TIED TO IT OR ALLOW FOR THE FLEXIBILITY TO DO MORE OUTSIDE OF IT. WE CAN ALSO ACCOMMODATE LAST MINUTE AND EARLY STARTERS WHEREBY THOSE STARTING LATE (FOR EXAMPLE AT A UNIVERSITY REQUIRING 120 HOURS IN 15 WEEKS BUT STARTING IN WEEK 10, THE PROGRAM ALLOWS THE STUDENT TO KEEP TRACK OF ONGOING WEEKLY PERFORMANCE IN AN EFFORT TO ACHIEVE THAT GOAL.
- The extent to which the internship’s duration is limited to the period in which the internship provides the intern with beneficial learning. THIS IS LEFT UP TO THE STUDENT TO DEFINE. THE PROGRAM IS 120 DAYS. HOWEVER, SOME INTERNS DECIDE TO STAY LONGER. THE PROGRAM IS ALSO ONLY A MINIMUM OF 5 HOURS PER WEEK UNLESS OTHERWISE PRESCRIBED BY THE UNIVERSITY OR OPT OR CPT STATUS REQUIREMENTS.
- The extent to which the intern’s work complements, rather than displaces, the work of paid employees while providing significant educational benefits to the intern. MORE THAN 50% OF ANYTHING CONTRIBUTED BY THE INTERN IS REDONE BY THE CEO. THE FOCUS OF THE INTERNSHIP IS ON 2 THINGS. FIRST, THE INDUSTRY OF BUSINESS BROKERING IS SO SMALL THAT IT IS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO RECRUIT EXISTING BUSINESS BROKERS WHO LARGELY WORK INDEPENDENTLY. THEREFORE, THE PRIMARY FOCUS OF THE INTERNSHIP PROGRAM IS A RECRUITING MECHANISM TO EXPOSE THE INTERNS TO A POTENTIAL FUTURE CAREER IN BUSINESS BROKERING AND THUS THE POSSIBILITY THAT IT MIGHT BE A SUITABLE FIT FOR THEM AND SPECIFICALLY VIA THE DEVELOPMENT WITHIN THE CEO’S PROGRAM. THE SECOND MAJOR REASON IS THE LONG TERM RELATIONSHIPS THAT THE CEO WANTS TO DEVELOP WITH GRADUATES WHO MAY BE INTERESTED IN RETURNING TO THE CAREER IN THE FUTURE OR MAY SIMPLY BE A GOOD REFERRAL PARTNER IN COMPLIMENTARY CAREER PATHS
- The extent to which the intern and the employer understand that the internship is conducted without entitlement to a paid job at the conclusion of the internship. THE INTERN IS NOT ENTITLED TO A JOB AT THE CONCLUSION OF THE INTERNSHIP. EVEN IF AN INTERN GETS A REAL ESTATE LICENSE, THEY MUST STILL INTERVIEW WITH THE CEO’S BROKER OR WITH A BROKER IN THE INTERN’S CHOSEN STATE OF LICENSURE
Universities Requiring Unique Disclaimers:
If the student is interested in receiving academic credit, please contact the FAU Career Center. The FAU Career Center can provide advice on enrolling in the FAU Career Center’s Professional Internship Course or will refer to the student’s academic department if this is a better option.