A thriving, mission-driven multimedia organization, NPR produces award-winning news, information, and music programming in partnership with hundreds of independent public radio stations across the nation. The NPR audience values information, creativity, curiosity, and social responsibility – and our employees do too. We are innovators and leaders in diverse fields, from journalism and digital media to IT and development. Every day, our employees and member stations touch the lives of millions worldwide and that includes our interns.
From day one, interns at NPR are given real-world, hands-on responsibilities. Working alongside top professionals in the field, interns do meaningful work across a variety of departments at NPR.
Across our organization, we’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success.
NPR’s Summer 2021 Internship Program will be fully remote.
Program Duration: June 1 – August 20, 2021
National Public Media (NPM) is the media sales division of NPR and PBS. As the sponsorship sales team for national and regional offerings on NPR and PBS stations and digital assets, National Public Media offers the best public media sponsorship opportunities. We work with companies across categories with a range of objectives — from financial services to home improvement, national branding to regional retail — to create sponsorships that perform. Learn more at http://nationalpublicmedia.com/
This internship will support NPM Creative, a small team of 7 innovators who build and maintain NPR’s digital sponsorship offerings and produce custom audio and visual campaigns for NPR sponsors. Our team manages multiple creative projects simultaneously, and we are looking for an intern who can help us stay on track, all while learning the ins-and-outs of an in-house content studio!
The type of person we are looking for is:
- Extremely organized. A person who loves nothing more than checking things off a list, gets excited about things like color-coding, and enjoys making packing spreadsheets for vacations.
- Interested in a career in creative services and excited to learn about creative production, product management, and audio and visual design.
- Able to stay positive and focused in a world of constant potential distractions, but to be patient with those of us with short attention spans.
- Kind and respectful to others, but not afraid to voice an opinion.
- Interested in working on a small, tight-knit team of creative specialists who love to collaborate!
- Create storytelling concepts for custom audio campaigns, including researching sponsors and proposing creative ways we can share their stories with the NPR audience.
- Assist with script-writing for custom mid-rolls, working with sponsor talking points and researching brand stories that align with their goals.
- Support the Production Manager in managing our many custom creative campaigns for clients, including creating timelines, preparing assets for delivery, and supporting the launch of custom creative across our digital platforms.
- Assist the Product Manager with quality assurance testing, including coordinating and participating in testing our products and reporting bugs to the correct people.
- Update and maintain custom audio resources, final audio, and spec documents.
- Join daily team meetings at 10:00 a.m. EST, and participate in team retrospectives, brainstorms, and other creative planning meetings as needed.
- Specific projects/goals:
- Lead audio testing projects to help us update and maintain creative best practices for sponsors.
- Help update and monitor performance benchmarks for our portfolio of custom sponsorship products.
WHO CAN APPLY?
- LOCATION: Must be planning to work from the United States and authorized to work in the United States throughout the Summer 2021 internship dates.
- EDUCATION: Must be a current student in an accredited degree program or a recent graduate of no more than 12 months from the month of the start of the internship.
- Experience working on small, collaborative teams
- Comfortable managing multiple deadlines and projects simultaneously
- Able to understand and communicate about technology
- Comfortable with Microsoft Outlook, Google Drive, and Dropbox
- Some experience with project management tools like Trello preferred
Applications close on Friday, February 26th at 5pm ET.
This internship is 100% remote. Must be located in California, Washington, D.C., Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, or Virginia.
Does this sound like you? If so, we want to hear from you. All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NPR is committed to being an inclusive workplace that welcomes diverse and unique perspectives, all working toward the same goal – to create a more informed public. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, religion, religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, lactation, and reproductive health decisions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, transgender status, gender non-conforming status, intersex status, sexual stereotypes, nationality, citizenship status, personal appearance, marital status, family status, family responsibilities, military status, veteran status, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, genetic characteristics of yourself or a family member, political views and affiliation, unemployment status, protective order status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis prohibited under applicable law.
Want more NPR? Explore the stories behind the stories on our NPR Extra blog. Get social with NPR Extra on Facebook and following @NPRExtra and #NPRLife on Twitter and Instagram. Don’t forget to follow our Interns on Instagram for some behind the scenes action! Find more career opportunities at NPR.org/careers and on Twitter at @NPRJobs.