Title: Forensic/Clinical Lab Specialist (Multiple openings)
Job Type: Full Time Regular
Location: Horsham, PA
Functional Area: Clinical and Forensic Laboratory Testing
Shift: Multiple Shifts
Schedule: Varies – Regular full time and temporary opportunities.
NMS Labs is the nation’s leading independent provider of professional laboratory testing services, specializing in clinical toxicology, forensic science, and other vitally important areas of esoteric testing and expert services. We employ more than 350 highly trained professionals who work closely with leading healthcare providers, medical researchers, and various members of the criminal and civil justice system to provide integrated testing and consultative services.
NMS Labs is an ISO accredited independent provider of clinical and forensic toxicology, endocrinology and criminalistics laboratory services for the health care and forensic sciences communities. Since 1970, we have built a reputation as a provider of innovative, first-to-market and hard-to-find testing that has evolved to a broad menu of over 2,500 laboratory tests.
We are seeking regular, full-time and full time temporary Forensic/Clinical Lab Specialists in our Routine, Esoteric and Alcohols departments . The incumbents will assist in preparing and analyzing biological specimens for drugs or other compounds.
- Handles biological specimens
- Retains specimens in suitable storage area
- Follows chain of custody procedures
- Prepares samples for testing
- Generates pre-analytical reports for specimen analysis
- Prepares and validates reagents, controls and calibrators
- Performs analytical testing under supervision
- May enter results in LIMS (varies by department)
- Performs routine instrument maintenance
- Performs basic instrument troubleshooting
- Documents quality control data and takes appropriate corrective action
- Independently performs analytical testing
- Performs directed method validation
- Discards all chemicals and biological materials properly
- Participates in projects and kaizens
- Maintains regular and reliable attendance
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Medical Technology, Chemical, Physical, or Biological Science
- Degree must be in a chemical, physical, biological science, or forensic science from an accredited university
- Minimum of 25 semester credit hours in college-level chemistry coursework including coursework and labs in General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Analytical (Instrumental) Chemistry
- 3 college-level semester credit hours in Statistics or must be able to take and pass a Statistics course within 1 year of hire date.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Ability to read, write, and understand the English language
- Demonstrate an understanding of basic analytical concepts
- Ability to identify and resolve non-technical problems
- Ability to interpret and execute various technical procedures in verbal, written, mathematical or diagrammatical form
- Knowledge of laboratory safety practices
- Possesses good computer skills
- Possesses good oral and written communication skills
- Possesses good organizational skills
- Possesses good interpersonal skills
- Ability to adapt to changes
- Demonstrates a high level of integrity
Physical Demands & Working Conditions
- Ability to hear
- Vision (with correction) including color, distance, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
- Standing, reaching with hands and arms, and using hands and fingers to manipulate instrument or equipment controls, computer keyboard, office equipment, objects or tools
- Movement from one work location to another
- Sitting and standing, sometimes for extended periods of time
- Lifting objects up to 20 lbs.
- Ability to travel as needed for court testimony.
- Exposure to intermittent or constant sounds generated by equipment
- Exposure to fumes, noxious odors and dust
- Handling of biological material and blood-borne pathogens
- Handling of toxic or caustic chemicals
- Proximity to moving parts
A few reasons why NMS Labs employees love the company:
Located in suburban Philadelphia, NMS Labs offers a stimulating and diverse work environment with competitive salary/compensation plans and great benefits, including medical/dental/vision/prescription plan, life/STD/LTD, flexible spending account, voluntary supplemental benefits, tuition reimbursement, 401k plan with generous match and profit sharing pension plan.
- NMS Labs offers a stimulating and diverse working environment and unique culture
- FREE pretzels on Tuesdays, fresh fruit on Wednesdays, yearly influenza shots, parking, fully equipped exercise room with locker rooms, wellness programs
- In April, weeklong celebration for National Medical Laboratory Professionals
- Company Wellness Committee and ‘Activiteam’ dedicated to plan exciting events and seminars throughout the year
- In July, Founder’s Day celebration
- In December, holiday celebration for employees and their families
- Halloween Potluck, Company Summer Outing, Charity Drives
- Onsite fitness room and showers
To be considered for this position, please submit a cover letter(include whether you are interested in a full time permanent or full time temporary position) , transcripts and resume and apply at http://www.nmslabs.com/careers .
*We are an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, creed, sexual orientation, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, citizenship status, otherwise qualified disability, or protected veteran status (disabled, Armed Forces Service Medal, recently separated, active duty or campaign badge).
Key words: forensic science, toxicology, research & development, LCMS, GCMS, HPLC, ICP, ABFT, endocrinology, crime lab, entry level, hospital lab, clinical research, drug test, DNA, biology, medical examiner, lab assistant, laboratory assistant, chemistry, specimen processing, Flame AA, HPLC, technician, lab support specialist