*Applications may be reviewed on a rolling-basis and this posting could close before the deadline. Click here for information about the selection process.
EPA Office/Lab and Location: A research opportunity is available at the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Office of Research and Development (ORD), Center for Environmental Measurement and Modeling (CEMM), Atmospheric and Environmental Systems Modeling Division (AESMD), Atmospheric Dynamics and Meteorology (ADMB) located in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina. Scientists in the EPA’s AESMD develop and apply large-scale comprehensive atmospheric modeling systems to study various aspects of air pollution, hydrology, health impacts, and stormwater management.
Research Project: The focus of this research project is to examine effects of extreme weather events on regional climate using the Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF) Model. Under the guidance of a mentor, the research participant may be involved in the following research activities:
- Performing state-of-the-science dynamically downscaled simulations using WRF for historical periods and/or future scenarios
- Evaluating extreme events from multi-year, dynamically downscaled data from the WRF model
- Examining the projected impacts of regional climate change on air quality, drought, water quality, and/or stormwater management
- Examining changes to the hydrology budget from WRF simulations under different scenarios
- Comparing output from statistically downscaled and dynamically downscaled scenarios
- Preparing data layers for dissemination through one or more of the EPA’s visualization platforms, such as Global Change Explorer, EnviroAtlas, and EJScreen
- Performing research where there are linkages to downstream air quality and/or water management tools and models, such as CMAQ, SWAT, SWMM, Stormwater Calculator
Learning Objectives: The research participant will have the opportunity to gain experience, while collaborating with scientists in AESMD, in a research project that extends skills acquired through their advanced degree education. The research activities will be selected to strengthen and/or broaden the skills of the research participant. The research participant will have the opportunity to present their research results through a combination of reports and technical presentations. The research conducted may also contribute to a manuscript for submission to a peer-reviewed journal.
Mentor(s): The mentors for this opportunity are Tanya Spero (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Megan Mallard (email@example.com). If you have questions about the nature of the research please contact the mentor(s).
Anticipated Appointment Start Date: ~January 2021. All start dates are flexible and vary depending on numerous factors. Click here for detailed information about start dates.
Appointment Length: The appointment will initially be for one year and may be renewed up to three to four additional years upon EPA recommendation and subject to availability of funding.
Level of Participation: The appointment is full-time.
Participant Stipend: The participant will receive a monthly stipend commensurate with educational level and experience. Click here for detailed information about full-time stipends.
EPA Security Clearance: Completion of a successful background investigation by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) is required for an applicant to be on-boarded at EPA.
ORISE Information: This program, administered by ORAU through its contract with the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) to manage the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE), was established through an interagency agreement between DOE and EPA. Participants do not become employees of EPA, DOE or the program administrator, and there are no employment-related benefits. Proof of health insurance is required for participation in this program. Health insurance can be obtained through ORISE.
Questions: Please see the FAQ section of our website. After reading, if you have additional questions about the application process please email EPArpp@orau.org and include the reference code for this opportunity.