The National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) delivers world-class geospatial intelligence that provides a decisive advantage to policymakers, warfighters, intelligence professionals and first responders. Anyone who sails a U.S. ship, flies a U.S. aircraft, makes national policy decisions, fights wars, locates, targets, responds to natural disasters, or even navigates with a cellphone relies on NGA. NGA enables all of these critical actions and shapes decisions that impact our world through the indispensable discipline of geospatial intelligence (GEOINT).
NGA’s Research directorate – Predictive Analysis Pod – Encompasses techniques from data mining, predictive modeling, and machine learning that analyze current and historical facts to make predictions about future or other unknown events. Sometimes the event is in the future, but predictive analytics can be applied to any type of unknown – past, present or future. The candidate will apply technical skillsets and expertise to national security topics to further use of event detection and sentiment analysis.
Candidates may participate in the Springfield VA or St Louis, MO locations upon completion of security clearance investigation.
This appointment is a 12-month research appointment, with the possibility to be renewed for additional research periods. Appointments may be extended depending on funding availability, project assignment, program rules, and availability of the participant.
Participants will receive a stipend to be determined by NGA. Stipends are typically based on the participant’s academic standing, discipline, experience, and research facility location. Other benefits may include the following:
- Health Insurance Supplement. Participants are eligible to purchase health insurance through ORISE.
- Relocation Allowance
- Training and Travel Allowance
Nature of Appointment
The participant will not enter into an employee/employer relationship with ORISE, ORAU, DOD, or any other office or agency. Instead, the participant will be affiliated with ORISE for the administration of the appointment through the ORISE appointment letter and Terms of Appointment.
PhD or postdoc with the following experience highly preferred:
- Social Network Analysis: neural networks, natural language understanding and machine learning,
- Natural Language Processing techniques such as transformer networks, graph embeddings, low-shot learning, or weak supervision are required.
- Experience with the standard libraries for deep-learning NLP, such as Keras, PyTorch, and Tensorflow, are required.
- Specific foreign language and cultural expertise is highly desired.
- Proficiency in python through coursework and shared scripts is required.
- Experience with geospatial analysis is a plus.
- Candidates with relevant experience will be considered with ABD status, postdoctoral or later-career. This work requires Top Secret security clearance
- A background check will be conducted for an SCI security clearance. Completion of Questionnaire for National Security Positions is required.
- Citizenship: U.S. Citizen Only
- Degree: Doctoral Degree received within the last 60 months or currently pursuing.