The US Combat Capabilities Development Command, Chemical Biological Center (DEVCOM CBC) is offering a bachelor’s level internship at the Rock Island, Illinois facility.
As an ORISE participant, you will join a community of scientists and researchers in an effort to apply knowledge, skills, and abilities in networking and system administration. During your appointment, you will broaden your knowledge and understanding and obtain skillsets structured around the critical skills and functions of a junior system administrator in accordance with the DoD Risk Management Framework for the Joint Acquisition Chem-Bio Knowledge System (JACKS) project. You will gain hands-on experience to enhance your skills in operating systems and system administration support for assigned systems used throughout the command while participating in assignments dealing with complex software/hardware system activities that involve challenging techniques, rapidly evolving technology, and real-world demands for reliability and efficiency.
Why should I apply?
Under the guidance of a mentor, you will gain hands-on experience to complement your education and support your academic and professional goals. Along the way, you will engage in activities in several areas and this learning experience will provide a platform for you to demonstrate your current knowledge of the field. During your internship, your mentor will develop learning objectives to fit your personal career development goals, while providing guidance that will prepare you for your future. Some of the learning objectives will include:
- Gaining an understanding of existing infrastructure and systems and how to improve optimum efficiency levels.
- Executing comprehensive test procedures to allow periodic verification of software/hardware operating limits and user options.
- Acquiring skills in user management functions, system restore/data recovery, data integrity review, and system monitoring.
- Gaining experience in installing new or modified software, hardware, systems, or operating procedures.
- Gaining exposure in backup and restore techniques
- Analyzing, evaluating, and providing briefings on new technology proposals, trends, and concepts with emphasis on cybersecurity and system improvements.
Where will I be located?
Rock Island, Illinois
What is the anticipated start date?
The DEVCOM CBC is ready to make appointments immediately. Exact start dates will be determined at the time of selection and in coordination with the selected candidate. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis and internships will be filled as qualified candidates are identified.
This appointment is a 12-month research appointment, with the possibility to be renewed for additional research periods. Appointments may be extended depending on funding availability, project assignment, program rules, and availability of the participant.
What are the benefits?
You will receive a stipend to be determined by DEVCOM CBC. Stipends are typically based on a participant’s academic standing, discipline, experience, and research facility location. Other benefits may include the following:
- Health Insurance Supplement. Participants are eligible to purchase health insurance through ORISE.
- Relocation Allowance
- Training and Travel Allowance
Nature of Appointment
You will not enter into an employee/employer relationship with ORISE, ORAU, DoD, or any other office or agency. Instead, you will be affiliated with ORISE for the administration of the appointment through the ORISE appointment letter and Terms of Appointment.
About DEVCOM CBC
The DEVCOM Chemical Biological Center is the primary Department of Defense technical organization for non-medical chemical and biological defense. DEVCOM Chemical Biological Center possesses an unrivaled chemical biological research and development infrastructure with scientists, engineers, technicians and specialists located at four different sites in the United States. DEVCOM Chemical Biological Center has a unique role in technology development that cannot be duplicated by private industry or research universities. It fosters research, development, testing, and application of technologies for protecting Warfighters, first responders and the nation from chemical and biological warfare agents. For more information about the DEVCOM CBC, please visit https://www.cbc.ccdc.army.mil/.
While participants will not enter into an employment relationship with DoD or any other agency, this opportunity will require a suitability investigation/background investigation. Any offer made is considered tentative pending favorable outcome of the investigation.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Secret Clearance
- Ability to obtain a CompTIA Security+ certification within six months of start date
- Citizenship: U.S. Citizen Only
- Degree: Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Overall GPA: 3.00