Note: This position is a temporary, limited term assignment. The internship dates are June through August 2021.
The Diversity Equity and Inclusion department at TRS serves as trusted advisors and confidants to TRS staff to help ensure a safe and inclusive work environment. The Diversity Equity and Inclusion Intern will have an opportunity to support initiatives across the agency, including Benefit Services, Investment Management, Health Insurance Benefits, and Finance, with a primary focus on gaining practical work experience and business skills for personal development or to satisfy educational requirements. The Intern will work closely with senior level staff on a variety of projects related to their field of study and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Benefits of a TRS Diversity Equity and Inclusion Internship: This position offers interns the opportunity to gain substantive experience within diversity, diversity, and inclusion in a well-respected state agency, the ability to work with diverse departments and help initiate strategies to better serve our members who serve the state of Texas. Interns will get training and mentoring from experienced professionals in one or more of these areas.
This position works under close supervision with limited latitude for initiative and independent judgment and reports to the director of the assigned department.
Salary will be dependent on education level:
· $13.50/hour within 12 months of graduation from a Bachelors’ program.
· $17.00/hour currently enrolled in a graduate program.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Program
• Advances relationships and partnerships with identified organizations and schools for collaborative DE&I purposes related to recruitment goals.
o Updates list of (professional) organizations and rationale.
o Prioritizes student clubs/organizations for relationship building.
o Prioritizes list of schools for collaboration.
o Develops activity and communication plans for each group.
• Supports Howard University 21 Alliance.
o Works closely with the Investment Management Division’s Talent Management (IMD – TM) team to support execution of communication and engagement plan.
o Supports DE&I Director as well as IMD – TM team in executing on other elements of plan
• Develops and establishes relationships with alumni professionals with identified organizations and schools to share just in time opportunities, as well as host professional development activities.
o Identifies avenues to be in contact with alumni (e.g. alumni newsletter, reunion event, geographical alumni clubs, etc.).
o Establishes creative ways to engage alumni.
o Promotes TRS opportunities.
• Supports the DE&I Council’s mission to enhance workplace diversity and cultivate an inclusive work environment.
• Conducts research on best-in-class approaches, initiatives, and trends in the DE&I space.
• Supports the DE&I Director in the execution of the DE&I strategic plan related to diversity recruitment.
o Identifies and includes other departments for collaboration on executing activity and communication plans.
• Develops, in collaboration with Organizational Excellence department, a sourcing and communication plan designed to generate a diverse applicant pool for positions at all levels of the organization.
o Focuses primarily on digital and social media.
o Creates resource list for posting, sharing, promoting opportunities to target populations and networks.
Performs related work as assigned
• Classification will depend on qualifications:
o Currently enrolled in and actively attending an accredited college or university as an undergraduate student
o Enrolled as a graduate student (Master or Doctoral)
• Applicant will be required to submit a copy of official college transcripts.