The Retiree Health Care Engagement Internship presents an opportunity to gain hands-on experience in delivering and developing health care messages to retired Texas public school employees who participate in TRS-Care. TRS-Care covers over 225,000 retirees and their families. In recent years, the program underwent a major transformation in plan designs and premiums, which allows more opportunity to communicate both the state of the program’s funding, and the benefits.
The Retiree Health Care Engagement Graduate Student Intern performs entry- to routine-level project work related to their field of study and health care. Work involves supporting agency operations with a primary focus on gaining practical work experience and business skills for personal development or to satisfy educational requirements.
Benefits of the Retiree Health Care Engagement Internship: This is a paid, full-time position that offers grad student interns an up-close look inside the administration of one of the largest health care programs serving Texas. The chosen intern will enjoy training and mentoring from experienced professionals in health care administration.
All applicants must submit a resume to be considered for the position. The interview process may consist of a video interview in addition to an in-person (or remote) interview. If selected to move forward, applicants will receive written instructions for both steps via email.
*Selected candidate must live or relocate to Texas for the summer.
Salary: $17.00/hour currently enrolled in a Graduate program
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
Health & Insurance Benefits Projects
• Supports TRS HIB Engagement team in creating content for TRS-Care projects for 2022. The bulk of messaging takes place in the fall, with message development occurring over the summer.
• May interview retirees and internal staff for updates to health plan materials.
• Develops and reviews announcement letters, news articles, social media posts, video scripts, web content, presentation slides and other marketing materials on TRS-Care.
• Reviews annual TRS-Care materials through a health literacy lens.
• Fosters engagement among TRS-Care participants and stakeholders.
• Assists in creating and reviewing content to support enrollment in TRS-Care Medicare plans.
• May review, analyze and report engagement data from website, social media, and mobile app to shape digital strategy.
• May assist in researching, compiling, and analyzing data; entering data into spreadsheets, databases, and other automated applications; and preparing complex queries and reports.
• May review forms, correspondence, reports, and other documents for completeness and acceptability.
• May assist in reviewing and analyzing agency policies, procedures, and forms and recommending changes to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
• Assists in completing special projects and performs other work as assigned.
Performs related work as assigned
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
• Currently enrolled as a graduate student (Master or Doctoral) as of June 1st with a declared major in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations, English or Health Communications.
• Applicant will be required to submit a copy of official college transcripts.
• Areas of study in health care communications, with emphasis on health care literacy or clinical communications
• Experience measuring message effectiveness.
• Experience in related fields.
• Letter(s) of recommendation from program professor(s) are strongly encouraged.
• Experience using Microsoft Office
• Familiarity with mass communication tools