Want to make an impact? Learn skills in IT, application development, data reporting while gaining experience at a well-respected government agency? Our expectations? Understand our vision and apply your intellect and classroom knowledge to make an impact in the lives of public school employees.
The IT Software Developer Student Intern performs entry (entry- to routine-level) project work related to their field of study and department initiatives. Work involves supporting agency operations with a primary focus on gaining practical work experience and business skills for personal development or to satisfy educational requirements. Works under close supervision with limited latitude for initiative and independent judgment.
Benefits of a TRS IT Information Systems Internship: This is a paid, full-time position that offers interns the opportunity to gain substantive experience in applications development/support and data reporting. Interns enjoy the chance to get training and mentoring from experienced professionals in one or more of these areas. Interns may also be eligible to continue working past their internship, depending on department and agency needs.
Here at TRS, we don’t just fill positions. We recruit the best and brightest, and we’d love to hear more about you!
This position will start June and will end in August, 2021.
Salary will be dependent upon education level:
Undergraduate (Junior or Senior) – $13.50/hour
Graduate or Law School Student – $17.00/hour
All applicants must submit a resume to be considered for the position. The interview process will consist of a video interview in addition to an in-person interview. If selected to move forward, applicants will receive written instructions for both steps via email.
Duties and Responsibilities
IT Information Systems
• Writes Java and SQL code to integrate new forms and documents into an application
• Writes Java unit tests based on provided examples.
• Writes and maintains Angular code for user interface.
• Writes reports using MS SQL Server Reporting Services.
• Creates ETL packages using MS SQL Server Integration Services.
• Attends and participates in code reviews.
• Documents existing processes for TRS Staff to utilize as reference.
• May assist in researching, compiling, and analyzing data; entering data into spreadsheets, databases, and other automated applications; and preparing complex queries and reports.
• May review forms, correspondence, reports, and other documents for completeness and acceptability.
• May assist in reviewing and analyzing agency policies, procedures, and forms and recommending changes to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
• Assists in completing special projects and performs other work as assigned.
Performs related work as assigned
Minimum Required Qualifications
Classification will depend on qualifications:
• Currently enrolled in and actively attending an accredited college or university as an undergraduate student with a declared major in Information Technology, Computer Science, or other relevant program AND within three semesters (12 months) of graduation; OR
• Currently enrolled as a graduate student (Master or Doctoral) in an Information Technology, Computer Science, or other relevant program.
• Applicant will be required to submit a copy of official college transcripts.
Registration, Certification, or Licensure:
• Completed an advanced Java course.
• Completed relational database course.
• Understanding and use of MS business intelligence products.
• Letter(s) of recommendation from program professor(s) are strongly encouraged.
• Experience using Microsoft Office software.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• General office practices and procedures.
• Project management concepts and various information gathering techniques.
• Organizing and prioritizing work to manage a high-volume workload in a fast-paced environment, and completing work accurately while meeting deadlines.
• Conducting data searches and evaluations of large amounts of information, performing complex analysis of the data, and preparing concise and accurate reports and written/oral recommendations.
• Verbal and written communication of complex information that is accurate, timely, and based on sound judgment.
• Providing quality customer service.
• Reviewing documentation; properly applying complex laws, regulations, rules, and policies; and making decisions based on sound judgment.
• Using a personal computer in a Windows and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) environment, and accurately performing data entry.
• Establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers, agency staff, and other external contacts.
• Work effectively in a professional team environment.