Mickey Leland Environmental Internship Program (MLEIP): Information for Students
Are you a college student who is passionate about protecting the environment? Environmental stewardship is at the heart of everything we do! As a MLEIP intern, you will have the unique opportunity to collaborate with scientific, technical, and business leaders at the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), other state agencies, or private industry employers across the beautiful state of Texas. You will gain hands-on experience and learn from committed mentors who will challenge you to stretch your skills further than you ever imagined. Ultimately, your MLEIP internship assignment will prepare you for the next important step in your career journey.
What is an MLEIP Internship?
An MLEIP internship is a one-of-a-kind experience that offers college students an unparalleled glimpse into the future of environmental science and conservation, helping them launch their careers. UNDERGRADUATE AND GRADUATE college students learn about environmental issues and gain professional work experience through a paid, full-time summer internship, either at the TCEQ, other state agencies, or in the private sector in Texas. MLEIP internship assignments are not available in spring or fall.
Eligible college students may submit an MLEIP application for summer 2021 internship assignments starting December 1, 2020 through February 28, 2021.
Am I Eligible?
If you meet all internship eligibility requirements listed below, we would be thrilled to have you apply!
- You must be an undergraduate student and have completed at least 60 semester hours at the end of the spring 2021 semester OR be a current graduate student enrollee. This internship program is open to eligible undergraduate AND graduate students enrolled at an accredited educational institution in Texas, across the United States, or outside of the United States.
- You must be enrolled full time during the spring semester 2021 and have a minimum academic grade point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale at the time of application. Eligible students who are graduating spring 2021 may apply for summer 2021 internship assignments.
- You must be eligible to work in the United States. TCEQ may hire international students as MLEIP interns if they are eligible to work in the U.S.; however, TCEQ does not sponsor international students.
- The majority of MLEIP internship assignments are STEM related. You should be enrolled in environmental or other science-related disciplines including, but not limited to, the following:
- computer science
- environmental science
- environmental studies
- geology / geoscience
- natural resources
- political science
- public administration
- public health
Students pursuing the following majors are also encouraged to apply:
- criminal justice
- digital media
- liberal arts
How Do I Apply?
First, submit an online application form. Applications are being accepted December 1, 2020 through February 28, 2021. If possible, submit your online application first before submitting any supporting documents.
Next, submit all of the following supporting documentation (may be submitted separately or together):
- an academic or professional letter of recommendation; only submit ONE letter of recommendation. Reference may email letter directly or you may email the letter. There is no specific form or format for the letter of recommendation. You are responsible for following up with your professor to confirm letter of recommendation has been sent.
- current official or unofficial academic transcript to include courses in progress spring semester 2021. A scanned and legible copy of transcript may be submitted by student. Official transcript sealed and sent directly by university is also acceptable, but not required.
- verification of spring semester 2021 enrollment (required only if transcript does not list courses in progress during spring semester 2021).
E-mail supporting documentation to: firstname.lastname@example.org.