teachNOLA Certified Teachers provides experienced and student teachers from across the country the opportunity to elevate their practice to the next level and continue their teaching career in New Orleans.
teachNOLA Certified Teachers is for educators who want to level up their instructional practice while getting a head start on a career in a city known for blazing the trail in education. New Orleans’ innovative school community has created an education landscape like no other, with limitless potential for ambitious educators. But without an established network, getting started in New Orleans as a teacher new to the community can be challenging.
Who We Want
Great teachers do more than boost student achievement. They change lives. We are looking for newly certified and experienced educators looking to start their teaching journey in New Orleans:
- With an interest in working with underserved communities: Experienced teachers who have taught at high-performing schools. New teachers who have experience working with young people in urban settings.
- With diverse backgrounds: As role models to our students, we value educators with a diversity of backgrounds and life experiences.
- With a desire to learn and grow: As we become better educators, our students reap the benefits.
- With a commitment to all students: While all our schools have their own unique cultures, we share a commitment to partnering with families to meet the needs of the whole student.
- Who understand of the importance of holding high expectations for all students: Our schools are committed to challenging students and delivering engaging instruction.
Benefits of teachNOLA Certified:
Starting early spring, we support participants transition to New Orleans with personalized instructional coaching and support with their job search.
- Built-in Networking: teachNOLA Certified Teachers will help you navigate New Orleans’ unique landscape every step of the way, so you’re set up for success in your new city.
- Intensive Pre-Service Training. Certified teachers will join our Pre-Service Training (PST) Summer Academy, completing a five-week training program in New Orleans that is centered around a collaborative summer school teaching experience with one-to-one coaching. Lasting from the end of May through the month of June, you will study proven teaching techniques and or build upon the instructional skills and knowledge that great teachers use every day to advance student learning. You can expect to practice and refine these techniques intensively, both with peers and with real students in summer school classrooms.
Why teachNOLA Certified:
- Skill Building: See what’s possible for students when they’re provided the opportunity to tackle high-quality academic content. Work with experienced teachers and peers to practice identifying, preparing for, and delivering challenging content.
- An Innovative Structure: New Orleans is well known for blazing the trail in education with its innovative all-public-charter-school model.
- Limitless Potential: The unique education landscape of New Orleans means there’s no cap on the potential for ambitious educators.
*teachNOLA Certified teachers are responsible for certification costs through the Louisiana Department of Education including certification transfer fees ($50) and any additional exams needed to meet Louisiana’s certification requirements.
To be considered for the program, you must:
- Have or be eligible for a professional teaching license from any state.
- Have at least one year of teaching experience, which can be student teaching experience.