Effective substitute teachers take the responsibility to ensure that the educational process is not interrupted when the regular teacher/paraprofessional is absent. The substitute teacher is used to fill the assignment of a regular teacher when the regular teacher is unable to report to work for whatever reason.
Assignments vary in length, and are determined by the needs of Westlake Academy.
- Education: High School Diploma or GED, college degree preferred
- General knowledge of curriculum and instruction
- Ability to instruct students and manage their behavior
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to pass criminal background check and fingerprinting
Provide students with appropriate learning activities and experiences designed to fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical and social growth. Enable students to develop competencies and skills to in support of Westlake Academy’s established Values, Vision, and Mission.
Classroom Management and Organization
- Maintains classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
- Instructs students according to established lesson plans.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Assist in selection of books, equipment, and other instructional materials.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors
Maintains emotional control under stress. Frequent standing, stooping, bending, pulling and pushing. Move small stacks of textbooks, media equipment, desks, and other classroom equipment.